At CMX, we believe community professionals come from all walks of life, and in order to build the premiere community conference, we must hear from and listen to people with a variety of perspectives. We believe in taking actionable steps toward building diverse, accessible, and inclusive communities and conferences.
Our scholarship program is here to encourage and recognize people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, military service, and more. To help break down the barriers that prevent underrepresented groups from participating at CMX Summit, CMX, with the support of Shopify, is offering scholarships to members of underrepresented groups in the community management industry.
As we’re investing in Los Angeles as the future home of CMX Summit, half of our scholarships are set aside specifically for residences of the greater LA area. LA recipients will have a reduced travel budget.
What’s included in the scholarship
- — 1 non-transferable pass to CMX Summit 2017, happening September 19-20 in Los Angeles.
- — $600 to help offset the costs related to attending the conference such as travel, lodging, food, and childcare. If you are in the greater Los Angeles area, we offer $150 toward travel, food, and childcare.
Costs will be reimbursed by CMX, and recipients will need to keep expense receipts up to reimbursement limits.
- — Must be a member of an underrepresented group in the community management field and at community management conferences, including but not limited to: people of color; people with visible and invisible disabilities; LGBTQA+; veterans; religious and ethnic minorities; trans, genderqueer, and nonbinary people; neurodiverse people; age minorities (under 21, over 50); working class people; and people experiencing poverty.
- — Must be able to attend CMX Summit 2017 in person.
- — If employed, must work for a non-profit, startup, or company making less than $500,000 in annual revenue. (If you are having trouble convincing your boss, check out our ticket transparency post with cost and benefit breakdowns.)
- — Must be 18 years or older.
- — Must follow the CMX Summit Code of Conduct.
Applicants may not be awarded CMX Summit’s scholarship more than once. Scholarship recipients are responsible for arranging their own travel and lodging. Recipients are responsible for their own financial reporting. Due to limited availability, only one scholarship may be awarded per company. As cisgender women represent over 60% of attendees at CMX Summit, they are not considered an underrepresented group in our industry.
All applications must be submitted by Monday, June 26 at 10am PDT for CMX Summit 2017.
Thank you, Shopify!
A huge thank you to our CMX Summit sponsor Shopify, who specifically is funding the travel portion of these scholarships. Your continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is appreciated.