Desmos Studio is on a mission to help everyone learn math, love math, and grow with math. We do this by building a free suite of math tools that help people represent their ideas mathematically, connect different representations dynamically, and then conceive entirely new ideas. Our tools are now used by more than 75 million people around the world.
As a Public Benefit Corporation, we’re committed to keeping our core products freely available for individual use, not relying on external funding, never allowing 3rd party advertising, and never selling our users’ data. We’re able to stand behind those commitments on the back of being healthily profitable with a transparent business model: we license our software to other companies to incorporate into their products.
Our community has grown to tens of millions of members worldwide, completely organically, with folks creating spaces to learn about and share the power of our tools. We’re now seeking to hire our very first Community Manager who will work hand-in-hand with our community, listening to, engaging with, and troubleshooting issues for people around the world. As Community Manager you’ll spend time learning about our communities, fostering a community-led strategy for engagement, and creating feedback loops that enable our team to continue to shape our products and programming with them in mind. We’re especially interested in a Community Manager with experience in some of the spaces where community is already organically growing (ie. TikTok, Reddit, Youtube, and Discord), and who deeply understands engagement trends in social media usage.
What you should show up ready to teach anyone on your first day:
- Your Desmos Graphing Calculator skills. You’re comfortable around Desmos math tools and find delight in broadening one’s view of themselves in relation to math.
- Relationship building. Your ability to empathize with, validate, support, and mentor a diverse community of individuals is unrivaled.
- The skills needed to curate and maintain a vibrant community of loyal Desmos users.
Within your first month, you’ll:
- Learn about our philosophies for equity, product design, and community engagement.
- Spend time getting to know our small, mighty team (there’s fewer than 20 of us today!) and the ways we work collaboratively through Zendesk, Slack, ProductBoard, Dovetail, and Google apps.
- Take a deep dive into our current user communities (eg. TikTok, Discord, Reddit, Youtube, etc.) and compile an informal analysis of the themes, archetypes, and motivators highlighted throughout these spaces.
- Shadow a Support Team colleague as they navigate the various aspects we support within a user’s journey— from updating procedures for a Getting Started article in our Help Center to logging a feature request.
Within your first three months, you’ll:
- Develop relationships with top creators (domestic and international), motivating them from the sidelines and mentoring a select group through their content creation journeys.
- Create a strategy for soliciting and elevating user-generated content across all social media platforms, authoring your own multimedia content as needed.
- Establish a system for capturing user pain points/suggestions they share through community platforms and ensure visibility of this feedback so it can be used to shape product decisions.
- Build strategies to tap into lesser-known and/or international communities of users that that we don’t commonly hear from.
Within your first year, you’ll:
- Develop a process for ongoing user research that will be used to drive Desmos Studio’s community engagement strategy (including community-led programming through virtual events and blog posts).
- Own the budget and strategy for Desmos swag/sponsorship requests.
- Represent Desmos Studio at several math events, connecting with our existing community and making compelling cases for growth in new, untapped international markets.
- Build new systems, optimize existing infrastructure, and create cross-functional feedback loops to help folks internally, at Desmos, understand the needs of the user community.
- Take plenty of vacation to recharge! We do our best work when we’re well rested.
As part of the team, you’ll receive:
- Competitive compensation. Every full-time member of the team receives generous stock and salary compensation as well as a 401(k) match of up to 5% of annual salary.
- Great benefits. We offer medical, vision, dental, short-term disability, long term disability, and life insurance. We also offer Medical and Dependent Care FSAs, a minimum of 30 days off (including 19 full-company holidays), and more!
- Flexible hours. We’re a fully remote team, and everyone sets their own hours.
- Work-life balance. We value results over hours and sustainable, long-term success over short-term wins.
- Ownership and influence. As a member of a small team with few external stakeholders, each person here plays a major role in defining our policies, goals, culture, and benefits.