Developers love using Netlify to build, deploy, and manage their sites and apps. As our customer base has grown, we’ve gained many enthusiastic supporters, happy to share their workflows and help others. However, their efforts are currently spread across personal blogs, non-searchable chat rooms, and a smattering of Stack Overflow questions. The time has come to take this customer enthusiasm and expertise and leverage it in a way that’s searchable, discoverable, and significantly more impactful.
Netlify is looking to hire our first Community Manager to help us create a community website and build a virtual community that enables customers to help each other effectively. This includes helping to select a platform, then working with our development, support, and marketing teams to implement and launch the website. Once created, your focus will shift to building community, participating in conversations, content creation, and helping with moderation, as well as maintenance and improvement of the selected platform.
The ideal candidate is familiar with web development technology, as well as the human element of moderating online communities. You’ll be part of a forward-thinking, proactive, respected technical support and documentation team, and we’ll help you in creating, moderating, and maintaining content in addition to facilitating conversations between customers. We and the company are excited about the work and have some goals published
that should resonate with the ideal candidate.
- Help create and maintain a system (likely something like a forum) for community members to support each other.
- Questions and answers should be web-searchable and linkable; moderation will be required.
- Help design and implement strategies for community growth, and recognize significant promoters and contributors. (Netlify will supply a budget for rewards!)
- Do some technical support in the process of moderating and participating in the community. (For example: helping answer some questions, and collating other questions into threads, realizing which queries are similar)
- Develop and implement a plan for coordinating and leveraging community-created content like blog posts and tutorials.
- Create content that you notice is missing, and facilitate teammates doing the same.
- Help define and then report on metrics of success for the community.
- Champion the voice of the customer and provide feedback, reducing friction for customers and/or internal Netlify teams.
- Work on community-building events along with the marketing team.
- Look for opportunities to change the way we do things - for the better!
- Own your own professional development, seek feedback from others, and continually build our organizational and support processes and your Netlify product knowledge.
- Strong written and oral communication in English.
- Strong customer service and mediation skills.
- Demonstrated technical skill, with experience in technical support, technical writing, web/software development, or technical instruction.
- Visible participation in online communities (e.g. Stack Overflow or other forums).
- Experience building, scaling, and managing online communities with a technical audience.
- Experience participating in developer events such as meetups, conferences, and hackathons a plus.
Two years ago we were two people. Today we are 27 people, are growing fast, and have onboarded over 200,000 customers. We’re serving dozens of large open source projects, and are active participants ourselves in the open source community and in the larger tech community — for example, speaking at and sponsoring conferences.
Though our team is growing fast, we’ve managed to stay tight-knit while welcoming newcomers to the fold. We hail from around the globe with diverse backgrounds, and we strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams.
We aim to create a company culture of empowerment where the best idea can come from anywhere, as we believe that empowered and engaged team members do the best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company. We’ll be working together a lot – particularly, pairing and collaborating – we want you to succeed! We don’t want you to work too hard (burnout is real), and we do want to encourage you to grow (impostor syndrome
is also real) – and we’ll help you do that!
Our main office is located in the Dogpatch district in San Francisco, CA, and about 40% of us work remotely. Employees in the San Francisco area work from home two days per week. SF-Local or remote applicants are welcome.
We offer a competitive salary, good benefits, and equity.
We encourage you to speak at conferences, and will pay your attendance costs as you represent Netlify at these events.
How to Apply
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include:
- A cover letter explaining what excites you about this job, along with links to some of your favorite work in a public forum.
- A resume or short listing of job history. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine.)