Do you want to help empower the rising generation of Americans to lead flourishing lives? Do you have a passion for online communities and experience cultivating and maintaining relationships with members to effect change? If so, you should apply to join our growing online community team that is transforming engineering education.
This full-time position would allow you to join the Kern Family Foundation within the Entrepreneurial Engineering program. The program launched an online community for engineering faculty in early January, 2018. Our mission is to transform undergraduate engineering education by teaching an entrepreneurial mindset. EngineeringUnleashed.com, the home for this online community, has grown dramatically in the past year, so it’s vital to add a second dedicated community manager to focus on continued growth and engagement. This is a custom community platform tied to the Kern Entrepreneurial Engineering Network (KEEN), which consists of 43+ engineering colleges and universities, and you will be instrumental in shaping this community.
The Kern Family Foundation works to empower the rising generation of Americans to lead flourishing lives. One way the Foundation approaches this is by working with partners to instill the entrepreneurial mindset in undergraduate engineering students. KEEN is a national partnership of universities with the shared mission to graduate engineers with an entrepreneurial mindset so they can create personal, economic, and societal value through a lifetime of meaningful work. The entrepreneurial mindset is action oriented. It drives an individual to have curiosity about our changing world, to make connections from diverse sources to gain insight, and to create extraordinary value from unexpected opportunities. Engineers who develop both an entrepreneurial mindset and a solid technical skillset are prepared to thrive in a disruptive, ever-changing world.
That’s the backbone of the community. Now we need your help.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Serving as a social leader and guide on EngineeringUnleashed.com to promote collaboration between members of the community.
- Developing and deepening relationships with partner institutions of KEEN and their faculty’s usage of the online platform.
- Creating and facilitating online events to keep community members engaged.
- Orienting, managing, and continuously engaging community members to deepen their sense of community.
- Increasing community membership and converting newcomers into regulars.
- Establishing and improving community guidelines, FAQs, and moderation policies.
- Moderating, organizing, and improving content.
- Actively connecting to members for feedback and tracking member activities to continuously improve the site and community.
- Providing reports to internal and external stakeholders on metrics for community success.
- Assisting in the creation and implementation of email campaigns (both newsletters and automated processes).
- Promoting the site and community on social media.
- Identifying, creating, moderating, and supporting sub-groups within the community.
- Working with the Digital Media Director to establish and promote the culture of the community.
- Travel expected 10-20% of the time.
Skills required include:
- Background in online community management and social engagement.
- Technical familiarity with website and digital design, technologies, and concepts.
- Technical familiarity with email tools and marketing strategies.
- Passion for writing and storytelling.
- Detail oriented and able to translate complex information to others in a concise manner.
- Outstanding written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge of SEO and SEM.
- Experience scheduling and running online events to keep community members engaged.
- Experience managing and maintaining social media accounts.
Mindset required includes:
- Entrepreneurial thinker.
- Curiosity about the changing world.
- Interest in new trends.
- Capability to connect information from many sources to gain insight.
- Talent identifying opportunities that create value.
- Ability to persist and learn from failure.
- Comfort with ambiguity.
- Passion to improve the rising generation.
Minimum experience and education:
- Associate degree in communications, journalism, information systems, or computer science (Bachelor’s degree considered a plus).
2+ years of experience managing online communities.
- Experience working in higher education (especially engineering education) a big plus.
- Graphic design experience a plus.
Salary and compensation based on experience.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, retirement contribution, and vacation.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter with salary expectations, resume, and community artifacts (forum posts, blogs, writing sample(s), community policies, etc.) to KEEN@EngineeringUnleashed.com with the subject line “Community Manager Application.”
The Kern Family Foundation will contact you regarding your application and, as appropriate, any next steps.
We will consider all applicants without regard to gender, race, age, sex, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
All information submitted to the Kern Family Foundation will be considered confidential.